Which senior superlative best describes you?

Summer Challenges

Graphic+made+via+Canva+by+Sydney+Kirages.+
Graphic made via Canva by Sydney Kirages.

As summer approaches realize that this summer can be whatever you make of it. So take the time to decide what your goals are. Is it to work out more? Work on your mental health?  Become healthier? Capture more memories? Have more fun? See new things? 

Whatever your ultimate goal for the summer may be, one way to ensure it happens is to make a plan and challenge yourself to complete a weekly task that is consistent with your goal.

1. Workout challenges -While workout challenges are likely the most obvious, as anyone who failed in their New Year’s

Resolution knows, the key is consistency and accountability. A workout challenge can include anything you want, such as: Walking or running – set a daily or weekly step goal, or a distance goal, or join the Fleet Feet Running Club and keep yourself accountable by scheduling two runs a week (such as Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings).

1. Squats 
    2. Pushups 
    3. Lifting 
    4. Yoga 
    5. Full body 
    6. Couch to 5k – use an app or a schedule to reach your 5k goal- 5k Plan
    7. Plank 
    8. Stretch 
    9. If you belong to a gym, challenge yourself to attend a different class offered each week – you’re paying for those classes, go see if any of them are the right fit for you.
    10. Hydration – whether you take on an exercise challenge or not, a hydration challenge is a great way to ensure you are getting your recommended amount of water each day. 2. Journaling challenge – Keep a daily journal throughout the summer. Not only is it a great way to hold onto those memories, it is likely to encourage you to be more active- no one wants a boring journal. Or, you could make your journal goal-oriented. One trend is a gratitude journal – keep track of the nice things you do, or that others do for you. Or, if writing isn’t your thing, use your phone and take a photo every day – maybe of yourself, of the day’s activities, or of your family. At the end of the summer, you’ll have a photo essay of how you spent the Summer of 2024. 
  2. Reading challenge – As high school students we do not have a lot of free time to read.  Challenge yourself to complete a series of books or visit the local library and sign up for one of their challenges. You can even win prizes – Lake Forest Library Summer Reading Challenge.

Courtesy of @eileen_lakeforestflowers on Instagram.
  3. Learn something new every week. There are many ways to increase knowledge and learn something new. You could pull something apart and put it back together again or you could simply log onto Ted Talks and find a multitude of topics to get lost in.  Alternatively, you could turn to Gorton Center and find classes ranging from mahjong to yoga, guitar lessons, or painting. Or, you could learn flower arranging at Lake Forest Flowers.
  4.  Cooking and Baking Challenge – Many people want to learn to cook or bake, and the summer is a great time to get started. You can learn on your own, or make it a group activity. Each person picks one week and a cookbook of their choice. The chef of the week must cook an appetizer, main dish, and dessert from their featured cookbook.  Everyone enjoys a social night and (hopefully) great food. The next week someone else hosts, and a new cookbook is featured.
  5. Cleaning and Decluttering Challenge – Sitting around your study space is probably a lot of school stuff you no longer need. Challenge yourself to clean, throw away, or declutter one area of your life each week. Or, challenge yourself to go through your closet and remove 1, 2, or 3 things each week that you will no longer wear or no longer fits.  No matter which of these you choose, try to donate or recycle wherever possible.
  6. Movie Challenge- The summer is a great time to catch up on movies.  A challenge centered around the American Film Institute Top 100 Movies

So whatever your goal may be, consider making it a challenge and having a little fun a long the way.