Which senior superlative best describes you?

Final Exam Policy Brings Confusion to Students

Students studying in the library the week before finals

LFHS students seem to be in for an end-of-the-year testing surprise. Or not. It’s confusing.

Many teachers are telling students that they cannot give tests the week before finals, and instead must give finals during finals week. While many students are feeling the impact of what appears to be a sudden policy change, the administration notes the new policy has been in place since 2022.  

“These aren’t new rules or guidelines,” Principal Erin Lenart said. “If a teacher decides to give a final exam or a final test, they should be giving it the week of final exams. If there is a project due, students should be given through the week of final exams to submit it. “

While the final rules may not be new, many students say they are feeling the effects for the first time this year.

“I wasn’t expecting to go in for a lot of my finals and then I heard about this rule only about three weeks ago,” junior Sarah Noble said. “I wish I had heard about these finals earlier because I had to replan my studying schedule. It was frustrating because I didn’t expect the change.”

Even though its apparent abruptness may be annoying to some, other students understand the benefits of shifting all tests to finals week.

“I think it makes sense because it’s forcing people to do finals during the finals week,” junior Katie-May Newman said, “otherwise, what’s the point of even having a finals week?”

Without having any tests the week before finals, that week might seem like just a filler. But, this week isn’t pointless.

“We should not end school early for students because days of attendance are dictated by ISBE,” Lenart said. “We also would not want two weeks worth of finals/tests/due dates for students.”

This idea can make a lot of sense for some students. For other students, getting rid of the “two weeks of finals” doesn’t do much.

“I think it’s a bad idea because what if you’re in an all-senior class?” junior Millie Foley said. “The seniors still have the final the week before, so it doesn’t change much.”

Cutting out tests the week before finals also doesn’t benefit students who are in mostly AP classes.

“The school doesn’t restrict tests at all during AP weeks or the weeks leading up to APs,” junior Hannah Burke said. “As someone with a ton of APs, having to go in for finals for classes that I shouldn’t have to go in for just creates more stress.”

While many students worry that this apparent change will just bring pressure, most understand where the change is coming from.

“I think it comes from a good place of wanting to make sure there’s still a reason for finals week,” junior Carina Divito said. “But, I think a good mix of finals throughout the two weeks makes finals easier instead of having to do two tests every single day.”