Which senior superlative best describes you?

Minecraft: Enjoying the Simple Things in Life

Photo from Patrick Kolcan.

Every year since middle school, my friends and I have been returning to a video game that keeps us coming back again and again. With simple blocks and game rules, we build elaborate structures and sink countless hours into a game that really has not changed that much over the years. 

So why do we keep coming back to it?

Minecraft is just this simple game in a blocky world that has earned a ton of popularity since its debut in 2011. 

I have spent too much time playing Minecraft over the years, which is embarrassing to admit, but the game is just addicting. There is so much to do every time you play, and it just relaxing to do the same things each and every time you log in. 

But Minecraft is more than just a mindless game with repetitive actions. It is a way for people to connect. 

Since May, a number of my friends and I have been playing on a large server nearly every day, and it has been one of my best experiences ever playing Minecraft.

Photo courtesy of Patrick Kolcan.

I’ve been building bases and collecting resources, and it has allowed me to have fun and relax. Before my physics final exam, I even decided to stay up late playing with digital blocks instead of studying. 

After spending countless late nights on the game, I feel closer to people I did not previously know well. 

People play for different reasons, but I prefer harnessing my creativity into creating unique builds that spice up the world. 

But what compels us to come back? It feels like every year so many people return to a “Minecraft phase.” Why is it that so many people feel the urge to return to this simple game?

Minecraft is a simple game that makes people return for a plethora of reasons. From simple nostalgia, to an urge to unleash creativity, to even just seeing friends online, Minecraft allows people to enjoy the simple things in life.