Which senior superlative best describes you?

Ranking Local Coffee Shops

Graphic courtesy of Derek Marshall

Out of the hundreds of coffees I’ve had, there have been some very bad and some very good coffees. But you likely clicked on this to see what is the best, more specifically, where to find the best. You have come to the right place. This will be a comprehensive ranking of local coffee shops, evaluated from worst to best. 

6) Dunkin Donuts located in Lake Forest and in Lake Bluff

I have to admit, it hurts a little bit to put Dunkin in this spot. It doesn’t suck, but it is just so inconsistent. Sometimes you walk in and get a great coffee that some random teenager whipped up, other times you get swamp water. It’s a risk that most of the time I’m not willing to take. That being said, though, Dunkin has good sweet coffees if that’s what you’re looking for. They always seem to be cycling through new flavors and there is always something new to try. 

5) Hometown, located in Lake Forest

This is a relatively new coffee shop to add to the bunch – as it just opened up last year – but it has proven its placement on this list. The coffee pairs well with their bagel melts, and can hold its own when it comes to the types of flavorings and different drinks you can get. Hometown coffee is decent, but nothing I would venture out for, as there are better ones out there.

4) Hansa, located in Lake Bluff

If you are looking to stay up for a long period of time, I would recommend Hansa. The espresso is powerful and won’t kick in for a few hours, but when it does, it can be intense. The flavorings are original as seen through their unique names. For example, during the winter season, they have a drink called “Campfire Mocha.” The taste of the espresso itself is much more qualified than the coffees previously discussed and is not to be underestimated.

3(tied) Whole Foods, located in Vernon Hills 

Some may be confused by this, as I myself didn’t know Whole Foods had a coffee bar until last year, but it does. Whole Foods has unique flavorings if that is what you are looking for, such as, Brown Butter Cookie, and Honey Vanilla, and a few others. Whole Foods is similar to Hansa in the great quality in that the drink, but less of a sit down place and more of an order and go. The espresso itself is smooth and has more of a buttery taste, and will compliment any bakery item that they have there.

3(tied) Prairie, located in Lake Bluff  

This place is a hidden gem that many people look over due to the fact that it looks like a bar, and it is, but they also have coffee. They don’t have many flavor options, but they have the classics and that’s enough for them. It’s nothing special, but it’s a latte done right in my opinion. Too often at other places will a latte be just milk and have nearly no espresso, but here there seems to be a perfect balance of both. Additionally, they use what I would like to call the expensive milk in the glass bottle (Oberweis), which just makes it taste that much better.

2) Starbucks, located in Lake Forest and Lake Bluff 

Overrated, sure, but sometimes you can’t outdo the dooer. The options are endless as they have cold foams, what seems like dozens of different flavorings, and many different types of drinks. Your imagination is endless for what you could want here.

1) Conscious Cup Coffee in Libertyville

If you need something to do this weekend I would recommend you go here. Though it has a much pricer price tag coming in at around seven to eight dollars, it is worth it for the state-of-the-art coffee that is made here. Specifically what I would recommend is the drink “The Seventh Heaven,” which truly does live up to the name. The drink is a latte that has Carmel, Chocolate, and Hazelnut in it. The drink is by far the smoothest on the list and the flavors mix together so well without one overpowering the other, and if they have it I would recommend getting the peanut butter cookie to pair with it as that may be even better than the coffee.