Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Missing Grades Frustrates Students

Many students frustrated over grade delays (Created by Ashton Peterson via Canva)

Students wake up every day to their alarm blaring, and then they muster up the strength to drag themselves out of bed for another day of tests and lectures.

When they arrive to their first period math class, they are disappointed to find that even though the teacher promised to have their test from two weeks ago graded, it’s is still ungraded. 

While this situation may seem overly specific, students know it is a common occurrence. Students often feel that teachers don’t enter test or quiz grades into the gradebook in a reasonable amount of time. They might spend weeks studying for tests. Waiting weeks for it to be graded leaves students frustrated and anxious.

“One time it took my teacher over a month to grade one of my papers,” said sophomore Alissa Eglite.

It’s fair to say that teachers have a life outside of school, but so do students. If students are able to study for tests and finish their homework, then isn’t it only fair that teachers submit grades into the gradebook at a reasonable time?

“I get really frustrated when I have a low grade in the class, and I know I did well on the test, but my teacher won’t enter my test grade so I get a better overall grade,” senior Holden Browning said.

The Principal of The Issue

According to Dr. Erin Lenart, there are no incentives for teachers to grade quickly. The only real deadline that teachers have is to submit grades quarterly. However, if you’re a student-athlete, teachers are required to turn in grades weekly, which is important in order for students to maintain their eligibility or scholarship.

She encourages students to be proactive.

“Teachers are waiting for students to reach out to them,” said Dr. Lenart.

Dr. Lenart said that she thinks it is beneficial for teachers to hand back quiz grades before the next test so that students are able to study off their quiz grades. 

But unfortunately, this doesn’t always happen.

Teachers’ Point of View

Mr. Lakin is one of the most hardworking teachers I have ever met.  I’m sure most teachers try their best when it comes to teaching, getting grades back, and helping their students, but Mr. Lakin goes above and beyond. 

He is very transparent when it comes to his life outside of school ,and he always explains why he isn’t in class when he is absent. Not only does he teach AP calculus AB, but he also teaches PSGA. However, he doesn’t always give back test grades promptly.

When he tells you that he didn’t get to bed until 3 a.m., you have to believe him. More than a few times throughout the year he would tell our class that he didn’t get much sleep and there were a few classes he was absent from.

While it seemed frustrating at the moment, after watching one of his online YouTube lessons on a day he missed, he mentioned that the time was 1:30 a.m. and he apologized that he wasn’t very enthusiastic because he was tired. 

After seeing him in the middle of the night like that, a switch flipped in my brain, and I was no longer annoyed at Mr. Lakin. 

This was an important learning experience because I realized that teachers have busy lives outside of school and often don’t have time to grade students’ work immediately following tests.

What is the Solution?

In my opinion, students and teachers need to give each other a break.

At the end of the day, teachers are there to help us. They are there to help us grow. If you need to get a grade back on a test, then talk to your teacher after class and try to set up a time outside of class where you can go over your test.

We all have to remember that people have a life outside of school, including teachers. We all have families and friends and we all want time to relax.

We can’t expect teachers to revolve their lives around teaching. With this being said, teachers should still try and grade in a time-efficient manner and be understanding with students who are eager to receive their grades back.

$600
$800