Dance team competition season preview

Photo courtesy of Paul D’alessandro

Bianca Storino, Staff Writer

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) allows the start of the competitive dance season on Oct. 24. On this day, the Lake Forest Varsity Dance Team begins its journey to nationals. 

From Oct. 24 to Oct. 27, the dancers will spend a total of 14 hours after school trying out for this nationally recognized team. 

“Tryouts are definitely stressful at times because you want to show what you’ve been working on over the past couple of months,” Captain Elsa Dahlgren said.  “But I think they’re super exciting. You anticipate a super exciting season ahead of you and it only motivates you even more.”

Dancers are scored by three judges as they perform multiple combinations of skills in pom and jazz.  During this tryout, the judges consist of the two varsity coaches and the junior varsity coach. 

After the two teams are determined for the 2022-2023 season, the following week, the varsity team has choreography.

“You are on your feet and dancing all day from 8 am-8 pm Saturday and Sunday. I could not feel my feet or lift my legs by the end of the weekend last year,”  said returning varsity member Alana Tennett. “Whenever I smell any sort of analgesic heat rubs like Tiger Balm or Icy Hot, I automatically think of the brutal weekend.”

LFVDT’s choreography week is dedicated to learning choreography which they will perform at competitions throughout the season. 

This year they welcome two new choreographers. Both choreographers have worked with teams that have been titled national champions. The jazz choreographer Ricky Ruiz who has previously worked with Ohio State, and pom choreographer April Hamner who is the assistant coach for Hofstra. 

“I wasn’t able to process that these dance legends would be in my presence watching my team dance until weeks after hearing the news,” says sophomore varsity member Lyla Carney. “Our new choreography and unique style will not only catch people’s eyes at competitions but also complement our team dynamic of reintroducing the new Lake Forest Dance Team.”

After choreography weekend, the team starts their season with two regional competitions before they begin the bulk of their practices over break.

While most Lake Forest High School students take their winter breaks, LFVDT attends their blackout practices, meaning they have to stay home over break. 

Winter break practices are typically 8 am-12 pm, Monday through Friday. On top of practice, the team has workouts with Crossfit and fitness coach Marquone Edmonds. 

“Winter break practices are where we build our stamina the most, so they are definitely a push.” Said varsity member Rachel Silvers.  “I remember older teammates saying you spend 90% of your free time during competition season with your team and 10% with your family. I thought they were kidding but after a season on varsity, I don’t disagree with them.”

After winter break, the team begins the IHSA state series, which starts with a conference and ends with a state. The weekend following state, they attend nationals.

The team qualified for UDA Nationals over the summer with a dance choreographed by the team’s senior members. . 

“Running out onto the Nationals floor was one of the most rewarding feelings I’ve ever felt. The first time you feel the lights on your face with the castle behind you is seriously unlike anything else,” said sophomore Reese Harper “Being on the floor you have been working so hard the entire year for makes it that much more special, and feeling the energy from all your sisters around you and the crowd is so incredibly magical.”

Even after an extremely busy and stressful season, the team members continue to say it’s all worth it. 

“Being on the Lake Forest Dance Team is definitely not easy, and can be very difficult at times,” said sophomore Amelia Hansen. “However, all the hard work each and every one of us puts into it makes it all worth it in the end. The hard work is gratifying, and the bond we all share makes the program very special and a great thing to be a part of.”