Janal Sharman, the triple threat

Whether it’s performing on the stage, working behind the scenes of a movie, or singing in a choir, sophomore Janel Sharman has proven she’s unafraid to tackle any challenge that comes her way.

The sophomore  heavily involves herself in many departments of the school, including the LFHS Music, Theatre, and New Media Departments.

Her involvement with music began at a young age, starting with simple piano lessons.

“My mom thought it was a good way to start childhood and get involved in music so I’ve always kept it since then,” said Sharman.

But piano isn’t the only thing that Sharman is involved in, as she also sings in several music groups, including Bel Cantos and choirs outside of school. Sharman even got the chance to sing at Carnegie hall in New York City with the Midwest Young Artists Conservatory, otherwise known as MYA. She also performed six shows at Orchestra Hall with the Chicago Symphony Choir for their Christmas Show, Merry Merry Chicago

“It was really beautiful and moving to be on a stage with 200 kids singing all together. I had never sung with that many people all together before, and it was an experience I still cherish to this day.”

Sharman performing in a summer Pasta production of BFG.

Sharman is involved in theatre, where she has participated in productions such as the freshman/sophomore shows, Twisted Tales of Poe and She Kills Monsters, and both Pasta and Performer’s School productions.

“I think really the first time I realized I wanted to be on a stage was when listening to the first musical I ever listened to, Les Mis,” said Sharman. “To make someone feel emotions in a way that’s so different from anything else is really crazy.”

Over the course of the year, Sharman worked as a script supervisor for the LFHS New Media Film, Out For A Long Time, which won the All American High School Film Festival. 

“I was a very small part of the production but a script supervisor is someone who makes sure that every shot is consistent, like if someone takes their coat off from shot to shot,” said Sharman.

While also having to maintain the complicated art of shot consistency, other parts of her job as a script supervisor also included things like getting rid of any logos on clothing or in the background of any shots.

“It’s created by people and that’s really important to me,” said Sharman. “Getting on the other side of things from both acting and understanding film is really important.”

But no matter if it’s behind the camera, on the stage, or singing in a chorus, Sharman is a truly extraordinary individual who’s always willing to give her all for the arts, no matter the challenges in her way.

“Just being able to express yourself in such a way, that’s different, it’s more layered and deep than anything else.”

The Forest Scout • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$500
$800