Scouts Split Four Games at Jack Tosh Holiday Tournament

Connor Clark, Editor

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Coach LaScala and company came into the 46th annual Jack Tosh Holiday Tournament with a 5-5 record on the season, looking to make some noise in a bracket full of unfamiliar faces. With teams such as Rolling Meadows, York, and Bolingbrook, the field was set and very challenging.

The Scouts tipped off their run on December 26 against Timothy Christian, a team that had an 8-4 record heading into the contest. Despite the records, the Scouts put on a good show, with Asa Thomas leading the way for the Scouts with 19 points.  Lake Forest came up just short in the closing minutes as Timothy Christian escaped with a 47-43 win. With the loss the Scouts were placed into the consolation bracket where they would meet Minooka.

On day two the Scouts were able to take care of business earning a 55-44 win evening up their record at 6-6.  Freshman Asa Thomas had another big game, leading the Scouts in scoring with 20 points in the win. This put the Scouts in the consolation quarterfinals where they would meet a very dangerous and overlooked Naperville North team.  

Early on in the quarterfinals Lake Forest had seemed to debunk the theory of Naperville North being dangerous, as a 77% shooting performance gave the Scouts an early and commanding 10-0 lead. The Huskies would not be denied as they battled back all game long, even erasing a 14 point Scout lead in the second half.

This game came down to free throws and Lake Forest knocked down some big ones down the stretch, and a steal by Freshman Asa Thomas sealed the win on the final possession as the Scouts walked away victorious 54-50.  Jack Malloy lead the Scouts with 14 points, and senior Grant Kaus chipped in with 12 points and 5 rebounds.  

In the semifinals the Scouts met a very tall and talented Palatine team. Their size seemed to be too much for the Scouts as Lake Forest fell just short, losing 49-45.

Through four games the Scouts showed a lot of promise and potential of what this team can bring to the table, especially in the North Suburban Conference.  In a tournament that possessed a lot of very talented and unfamiliar teams, the Scouts faired well, only losing two games by a combined 8 points.  

Coach LaScala’s crew has their work cut out for them in an extremely tough conference schedule this year, but they also have a lot to be proud of.  

Quick Facts:
Scouts Current Record: (7-7) (1-2)
Next Game: January 7, @ Grayslake North at 7 p.m.
Next Home Game: January 10, vs. Waukegan 7 p.m.