Prom: A Hazy Purple Affair for Just $4

December 9, 2019

Back in the 70s, no student was complaining about the high prom prices, nor were juniors competing to see who could go to the most school events to win two free prom tickets. On Saturday, May 20, 1972, prom took place decorated in purple glory, with the night being coined, “Purple Haze.”

You and your friends would be preparing for a night out in the Gymnastics Gym, or the Field House, instead of going to a hotel in the city. The ticket to dance in the gym where you would normally be playing dodgeball was a mere $4 per couple.

The band, B. F. D. (Big Funky Deal) would be performing from 8:30-11:30 p.m. in the gymnasium, with Ed, Coot, and Company performing as well.

The Post-Prom you would be attending would be at the Seven Eagles Restaurant in Des Plaines. The total expenses of both the prom and post-prom would only total up to $15 and return the following morning at 4:30 a.m. Then, the Post-Post-Prom you and all your friends had to attend would be a picnic at Lakewood at 10 a.m. in the morning with a possible band and other entertainment for students to enjoy.