What+about+the+future+worries+you+most%3F

What about the future worries you most?

January 16, 2019

Our ongoing series #Thisis18 focuses on what it’s like to be 18 in 2018-19.  In this edition we asked upperclassmen: What about the future worries them the most?

Evan Jasica: “I’m most worried about paying for college and getting into a good graduate school; I hear that it is far more important right now.”

Flynn McClellan: “In high school, you have classes that are all 45 minutes long and you go from one class to another, but in college, I’ll have hours between my classes and I’m worried that I’ll procrastinate.  Other than that, I’m afraid that I won’t succeed in school, that I’ll fail.”

Marcus Ulrich: “I’m worried about college debt.  I don’t really have the money to pay for college, meaning I’ll have to take out huge loans from others and pay them back later at high interest rates.”

Andrew Xakellis: “I’m worried about the state of the economy because we have a rotational economy in the US, and we are just coming out of a recession right now, and we are currently pumping money into the economy.  This means that it will probably line up so that the next crash will take place around my junior or senior year in college and will last for several years, including when I’ll be looking for jobs.  On the small scale, nobody likes to be isolated, and once I’m at college, I’m worried that it’ll feel like that.  In college, you can’t just go home and hang out with your family and tribe.”

Adam Clayton: “I’m worried about making money as a musician.  Finding a job in a world that’s quickly moving away from performing arts and towards computerized music is hard and you won’t get much money from the gigs you do get.”

Ryan Eleveld: “I am most worried about going to college and finding out that I actually don’t know what I want to do with my life.”

Jaqui Pink: “I am worried that I won’t be able to find a job.  Even though there is about a 95% chance that I will, based on my field, there’s still a 5% chance that I won’t.  I’m worried about being a statistical outlier.”

Peter Haggerty: “I think that we’re well prepared for the future, but sometimes teachers give us the benefit of the doubt, which I don’t think will be very helpful in college.”

Will Davis: “Honestly, it’s kind of weird, but I’m worried about the amount of free time I’ll have in college.  I’m someone who works better with a structured schedule, so having a lot of free time will take some adapting to.”

Claire Mahoney: “One thing that I’m nervous about is that I don’t really know what I want my major to be; I’ve bounced around between a few things, and so I’m worried that I won’t like the major I eventually pick.”

Patrick Corrigan: “College is coming up soon, and it’s going to be even harder than high school.  Our hands are held quite a bit here, and I feel that it may be a bit of a shock for some people; when they’re four or five hours away from home and there aren’t a whole lot of people to hold their hands.”

Anna Aquino: “I am most worried about burning out via worrying about making things based on other people.  I’m going into a creative field right?  So I’m going to have to make things that are unique but also make me happy.  However, I’m also really easily influenced by peer pressure, so I’m worried that I will be controlled by it and my fear of being controlled by it.  I’m also really afraid of being alone.’

Elliott Sarno: “I’m just worried about becoming emotionally distant with those I’ve built really close relationships with.”

Anisha Parachuru: “I’m scared to see how things are going to turn out. We’ve spent our whole lives doing what our parents have wanted us to do and now we’re going to be on our own.”

Caroline Theis: “I don’t know where I’m going to end up. I’m scared to be all alone for the first time in my life”

Katie Barth: “I have this weird feeling that animal crackers are going to come to life and eat me for revenge for eating their other animal friends.”

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




The Forest Scout • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in