Black Panther Preview

Black Panther Preview

Nick Wnuk

This article was co-written by Nick Wnuk and John Torosian. 

Marvel’s newest movie, Black Panther, has received critical acclaim for its stunning visual effects and unique storyline. Achieving a Rotten Tomatoes score of 96%, the film features big name actors Chadwick Boseman (known for his role as Jackie Robinson in 42) as Black Panther himself, and Michael B. Jordan (who starred as Donnie Creed in Creed) as Erik Killmonger, the main antagonist.

After the death of T’Challa’s (Black Panther’s) father (seen in Captain America: Civil War), he returns home to the African Nation of Wakanda to begin his reign as king. Erik Killmonger, Black Panther’s enemy, interferes and puts the fate of Wakanda and the whole world at risk. T’Challa is forced to gather all his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to protect his people.

Many LFHS students have already seen the movie, which was released in theaters on February 16. Junior Will Davis told The Forest Scout, “Many people believe Marvel movies require you to watch them all, and although this is sometimes true, Black Panther is such a stand-alone masterpiece that it works outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.” Junior Carter Horan also commented, “The movie is both thrilling and modern while somehow maintaining the classic Marvel feel. I absolutely loved it.”

Ryan Coogler, the director of Black Panther, has a remarkable resume, including (but not limited to) directing Fruitvale Station, Creed, and now Black Panther – all three of which garnered at least a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. With a $900,000 budget, Fruitvale Station sprang 31-year-old Coogler’s career into action by grossing $17,385,830 worldwide. In addition, Creed made $173.6 million just two years later. Overall, Coogler was certainly more than qualified to handle the $200 million dollar budget given to him by Marvel.

Due to Coogler and the cast’s success, Black Panther has become a cultural movement in an industry unrepresented by the black community. In some cases, teachers have taken their classes to see the movie that could make a mark in history. In addition, many celebrities took to Twitter to express their thoughts on the movie, and, in most instances, promote the film. Some of the notable takes include:

Michelle Obama tweeted, “I loved this movie and I know it will inspire people of all backgrounds to dig deep and find the courage to be heroes of their own stories.” In addition, actress Gabrielle Union tweeted, “Black Panther is more than a movie, it’s a movement.”

The superheroes who make a large impact on kids worldwide are almost all white. With racism and discrimination still being present in our society, Black Panther aimed to inspire people of all races and communities. To represent all races as superheroes is not only inspiring but necessary in today’s society. Keep up the good work, Marvel, for this could pave the way for a greater representation of not only the African American community, but all races.

Nick Wnuk, Author

Nick Wnuk is a junior contributor at large for The Forest Scout. Check out his podcast, Words With Wnuk, on The Forest Scout website.