Another Story: the emergence of YouTube’s live sharing platform

First, there were Snapchat stories. Then there were Facebook stories, and then Instagram stories. Now, it appears that there is a new player entering the story industry. Believe it or not, video platform giant YouTube will soon enter the mix bringing their own story platform called Reels to the marketplace.

Another Story: the emergence of YouTube's live sharing platformThe process for creating a “Reel” post seems to be similar to the other platforms. You shoot a video (30 sec. maximum), apply a filter and music (if desired), and then share. However, in order to differentiate itself product from Instagram and Snapchat. YouTube has added two major twists. First, “Reels” will not disappear after 24 hours as they do on other platforms like Snapchat. Also, the platform will allow users to have more than one “Reel.” That said, users should not expect a major learning curve, especially since one of the people who built the platform, Todd Sherman, worked on the original idea of stories for Snapchat.

YouTube says that its decision to create the platform is rooted in their ultimate goal to connect creators with fans and to create a more wholesome community. “Reels” is one of several steps being taken in an attempt to pry users away from other social media platforms like Facebook, and streamline their interactions with their favorite creators on a single platform.

Currently, the feature is still being Beta tested with a select group of YouTube super creators who have more than 10,000 followers. General users should expect the feature to launch fully by the end of the year.