Behind the Star: Blackbear

Behind the Star: Blackbear

Patrick Philpott

Be sure to follow @theforestscout on Spotify for curated playlists by the authors.

With every great star, there was an early period when they were a starving artist. A time before the fame, fashion, money and power filled their lives and changed them forever. This new column is going to take a short look at the “before” part of our everyday music stars and how the spotlight changed their lives for either better or worse. Today’s “Behind the Star” artist profile is on the rising pop star Blackbear, specifically looking at his early childhood and his journey as an artist so far.

Blackbear, formally known as Matthew Tyler Musto, was born on November 27, 1990 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Not much can be said about Musto’s early childhood without any real confirmation on his parents’ full names; in fact, any information on them seems to be either wrapped up or non-existent. When it comes to siblings, it’s about the same deal as Musto’s parents: either the artist hasn’t released any information on it or it doesn’t exist online. This missing information can be assumed it’s not broadcasted because it is speculated that he grew up in a low-income household, as well as having grown up underprivileged and unable to conform to basic social norms. There even has been rumors that he escaped home in his early teens, fleeing from his abusive mother and father.

After struggling with a difficult childhood, BlackBear only seems to have a high school graduation diploma, but that didn’t quell the artist’s intention of becoming a young rap star. Early in Musto’s childhood he was always interested in music–and was a talented writer when it came to songs–but he began his creative journey as an artist early on in youth bands. Later in his teens, he was approached by a recruiter who offered to launch his career. Without second thought, Matthew Musto accepted the contract.

After the take off of the young and promising music star, he co-wrote Justin Biebers “Boyfriend,” a number two hit on the Billboard Top 100 in early 2012. This was the first breakthrough for Blackbear in the music game, and  helped shape his R&B/Pop/Hip-Hop career for the future. He also appeared on MGK’s “End of the Road” track from the Lace Up album. Later, Blackbear released his own EP, The Afterglow, on April 20, 2014. This landed him the number four spot on Billboard’s Uncharted listing of releases from upcoming artists.

On February 14, 2015, BlackBear released his own full-length album, Deadroses, produced solely by him and featured ten tracks. The lead single from the album, “idfc,” charted on Billboard’s Top 100 R&B list and held that spot for over a year. The popular track earned millions of plays both on SoundCloud and Spotify. The smashing single launched Blackbear’s career, and to the top of Billboard’s top 20 charts by the middle of 2015.

With Redleaf Goldteeth writing the new album, he “pleasantly mixed together a plethora of genres, sounds, and emotions to create a completely cohesive and unique project.”

With the future of this young artist looking very bright, many are optimistic about what the artist is going to release next. After the release of his most recent studio album, Cybersex, many fans and music lovers alike are looking forward to new releases as we get into 2018.

Patrick Philpott, Author

Patrick Philpott is one of the writers for The Forest Scout. He enjoys all music and his favorite subject in school is English. Patrick is currently a...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Behind the Star: Blackbear”

1. Alex on May 11th, 2018 11:17 pm

He wasn’t born in Florida, he was born in Pittston, PA. And his brother’s name is TJ, he posts about him all the time. He also has a little sister, forget what her name is though. And his mom’s name is Lisa. I’m also pretty sure he dropped out of high school.

2. you on May 16th, 2018 9:32 am

he was born in Florida

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

Artist Profile

070 Shake Review

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

How I Learned That Angels Are Real

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

Concert Reviews

Upcoming Concerts

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

In Music

New Dreamville Records Album

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

Playlists

Playlist In Person: Swingin’ The Holidays (Again!)

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

In Music

Playlists In Person: Study with Junkie XL

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

In Music

Playlists In Person: Study with Danny Elfman

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

Album Review

Album Review: Narrated for You

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

Artist Profile

Astroworld Tour Review

• Behind the Star: Blackbear

8 Things You Can’t Miss at the Holiday Concert

Behind the Star: Blackbear