Kanye West makes on-stage return

Kanye West makes on-stage return

Lily Gould

It’s been nearly a year since Kanye West has been in the spotlight. During his 2016 “Saint Pablo” tour, he performed in a few shows that ended in much controversy. In one of his earlier shows, he stopped his performance at a festival in New York when he was told that his wife, Kim Kardashian West, had been robbed at gunpoint in a hotel in Paris.

Soon after that, he was performing at a concert in Sacramento, California, where he announced that he had not voted, but he supported President Trump. He began to bash Jay-Z and Beyoncé, creating an uprising in the crowd that led to fans demanding refunds. West consciously said to the crowd, “I’m not always going to say things the perfect way, the right way. But I’m going to say how I feel.” He added, “Get ready to have a field day, press. Get ready, get ready. Because the show’s over.” That Sacramento concert was the last show before West suddenly cancelled the remaining dates of his “Saint Pablo” tour.

In November of 2016, West was hospitalized for more than a week after supposedly experiencing “temporary psychosis due to sleep deprivation and dehydration,” which led to his long break from live performing. A family insider even said he had difficulty identifying what was real, saying he was violent, but not towards people. He stayed at the Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UCLA, was released after eight days, and continued treatment as an outpatient.  

On Saturday night, West finally stepped into the spotlight yet again to perform with Kid Cudi for the first time since 2016 at Chicago’s Aragon Ballroom. If you haven’t watched the videos, Kanye couldn’t stop beaming. During the concert, West and Kid Cudi performed “Father Stretch My Hands, Pt 1,” which is off Kanye’s 2016 The Life of Pablo album. This day not only marked Kanye’s return, but it indicated that the publicized beef between Cudi and Kanye has come to an end. Supposedly Kanye has been working on a new album, so Yeezy season may soon be upon us all.

Lily Gould, Author

Lily Gould is an 18-year-old senior at Lake Forest High School who has a passion for writing, singing, listening to music, and spending time with her friends.