What's your ideal spring break spot?

Scouts Swing into NSC Finals after McDermand Invite Victory

Photos courtesy of Aimee Bernardi, Lake Forest High School Boosters

Each year, the boys golf team hosts its annual McDermand Invitational at Lake Bluff Golf Course. The event features some of the best teams on the North Shore and always makes for a fun eighteen holes of golf with fourteen other teams traveling to compete on Lake Forest’s home course. On Saturday, mother nature dealt a beautiful late September day as sunny skies and warm temperatures prevailed in Lake Bluff. With a nice showing from the student section out in the gallery, the players headed out for the 1 PM shotgun start each looking to win the McDermand Invite for their team.

The Scouts got out to a smooth start on the challenging back nine at Lake Bluff. Senior Wes Dixon, who was excited for his final event at Lake Bluff, started out the first few holes at just one over par–an impressive feat for the tough 11th, 12th and 13th holes. Fellow co-captain Scott Frevert opened his round at -1 through three holes as he started on the challenging par three thirteenth. As the round went on, however, both players started to fade as the temperatures and long day took its toll. For the two team captains, it was their final round at their home course which made for an emotional eighteen holes.

“It was definitely an emotional day,” said Dixon, “our seasons and careers are began here, so it’s tough to think this is the final time we will play here for the high school.” Frevert agreed with Dixon, and as a Lake Bluff bred senior, it was hard for him to swallow as well. In the end, Frevert fired a 74 (+2) and Dixon carded a round of 78 (+6) for their final rounds at Lake Bluff.

Seniors Jed Thomas and Connor Polender had been consistent all year long, and that mode would not change for the McDermand Invite. The Scouts have relied heavily on the play from their one and two players and their successful performances were called upon yet again on Saturday. Both Thomas and Polender played comfortable golf as neither player got into much trouble all day long. While the scores weren’t as low as either player is capable of, both managed to combine for just 147 strokes thanks to Thomas’ 73 (+1) and Poldender’s 74 (+2). Thomas had the second best round in the event, which was the lowest round for the Scouts, trailing only Stevenson’s Jackson Bussell’s 68 (-4). Lake Forest ended up with a four player score of 296, as they took the scores from Thomas, Polender, Frevert, and junior Danny Fisher. 296 strokes was enough for the Scouts to hold on and win their own McDermand Invitational, edging Loyola and Stevenson by two and six strokes respectively. The Lake Forest Gold team, which combined the scores of the second six players, finished seventh overall at 317 strokes with the best score from senior captain Wes Dixon.

With yet another victory, the Scouts are certainly rolling along quite well. With the regular season now complete it is time for conference finals and hopefully a long postseason run which will end at the state course, The Den, down in Bloomington, Illinois. For the time being, the team will be focused on the NSC finals which are tomorrow at Willow Glen Golf Club. The Scouts will bring seven players and look to win yet another conference championship by defeating the likes of Stevenson and Mundelein.