Annual ELS game should be set into schedule

Luca Ferraioli, Staff Writer

The ELS basketball game is one of the best traditions at LFHS, yet some students do not get to experience the joy of it. The decision is left up to individual teachers on whether or not to allow their class to attend.

The game takes place during B and C lunch slots. If you have A lunch, you just might be out of luck. For B and C lunchers, you may only get to experience half of it while trying to cram down your sandwich in the stands.

There’s a simple fix: The game should be set in the schedule, like our Homecoming pep rally. The game already resembles the pep rally. Both of the events are located in the Competition Gym with the band playing and the cheerleaders present. However, the Homecoming pep rally is set in the schedule ensuring that all students and staff can attend, enjoy, and display their school spirit. 

The ELS game, a recent finalist for the list of Seven Wonders of LFHS,  is much more than just a basketball game; it is a time for our school’s community to come together and provide support to kids with special needs. 

“The ELS game is a highlight each year, and the school spirit is amazing. Every student should be able to experience this excitement and show support to their fellow students,” said staff member and swim coach Cindy Dell, who works alongside the players.

Courtesy of Brume Ogufere

Art teacher Mrs. Bielski asked her graphic design students to pair up with players for a photo shoot, capturing all eight team members. The classes ultimately transformed the photos into fantastic posters to be displayed throughout LFHS on TVs, lockers, and bulletin boards enhancing the excitement of the game.

“I would say our school has lots of school spirit: we have clap-outs, we attend games and performances, we decorate lockers and buses…but for our ELS kids, we don’t celebrate their accomplishments with the same energy,” said  Bielski. “It’s important, if we truly aim to be a connected, unified LFHS community, that we set aside the time during the ELS game to be fully present for the players. It’s important that the entire school is there supporting them.”

Courtesy of Caroline Kaiser

Navy shirts with the ELS logo on the front were sold around school, and many students and staff showed support by wearing them to school on the day of the game. The shirts raised money that was donated to Gigi’s Playhouse, a local Down Syndrome achievement center that provides support for people with Down Syndrome as well as their families.

Every year, the game continues to be amazingly special for the players. During this game, they have the chance to proudly represent our school with support and attention from the student body and staff. 

“I really love the game. It is super cool and makes me happy. I love playing with my friends. It was so awesome to look up after I scored to see a lot of people cheering me on in the gym,” said freshman player Maria Alzamora. 

Courtesy of Caroline Kaiser

For many students, missing out on the game is extremely upsetting and disappointing. “It absolutely sucked not being able to go to the game. I had been looking forward to the game all year and then my teacher did not let us go,” said junior Tommie Aberle.

It’s a heartwarming day for our school community and a true representation of what we stand for here at LFHS. If we want to come together and support one another, LFHS must set aside time in the schedule for this game to take place when the entirety of the student body and staff members can attend, display our school spirit, and most importantly support the players.