Overview on the USMNT World Cup

Robert Pasinato, Staff Writer

To say the least, the USMNT knows how to fight like no other, going one on one, and having pressure from their country to succeed.

It was all eyes on the USA’s game against the Netherlands. Their hopes went from high to none after losing the match. 

The US team was the underdog with the Netherlands favored to win, but the Netherlands put three in the back of the net with three different scorers. Memphis Depay was the first to strike with a goal in the first ten minutes. Shortly after, it was followed by a goal by Daley Blind during the 46th minute. 

This was when the US fans started to lose hope. The game was moving and the Netherlands seemed to be outplaying the US, as we weren’t able to get much going when we had the ball and it seemed hard for us to stop the Netherlands when they had it. 

During the 76th minute, Haji Wright sparked a moment of hope in the US fans hearts with his goal. Now 2-1 with about 14 minutes to play, the US was in full green light, and they needed another goal to tie the match. 

The US  weren’t able to get anything and watched Denzel Dumfires put the icing on the cake for the Netherlands with the final score being 3-1.  

The USA was the second youngest team in the World Cup. Most of the US players had  no experience playing in the Sweet 16. 

The USMNT played their hearts out with many fans cheering them on. 

“I believe that I have built a relationship with the USMNT, doing my research, and connecting to the sport of soccer more,” said senior Jack Carrabine. 

Every TV in the school has been playing live matches so students can watch their favorite teams live, and the upper commons was packed for the USA vs Saudi Arabia game. 

Overall, the USMNT put on a great performance in the World Cup. Although it wasn’t good enough to beat the Netherlands and move on, they were able to finish in the round of 16 which was what head coach Gregg Berhalter wanted.