Dominik Ziaja

Dominik Ziaja

If sophomore Dominik Ziaja was an animal, he would be a turtle. The youngest player on the Varsity soccer team is very tough and a bit shy. But a conversation with him – which might just be in a different language – shows a funny, humble future leader of the team.

The starting left defender hopes to follow in the footsteps of his older brother Konrad Ziaja, who was captain of the team in 2020.

“Dom is a great brother who will never fail to make you laugh, and no matter how he may be feeling, always has a great attitude,” Konrad said.

At the moment Dom’s not just a prospect, he’s an integral part of the team.

“It’s definitely not the easiest thing to be the only sophomore on the Varsity team, with all juniors and seniors, but he’s handled it very well, and is a solid defender,” said senior Joseph Hanson. “Although he’s a man of few words, I can tell he’s a very humble and friendly guy. He knows when to be serious and when it’s okay not to be, which is important when we want to be focused, especially on game days, but it’s also great to see that classic Dom grin when we are joking around during warmup; it never fails to lighten the mood.”

“That classic Dom grin” is always a pleasure to be around, and he really completes the squad’s sense of camaraderie.

Coach Robert Parry has been at the helm for nearly 16 years, and he’s had the pleasure of coaching three Ziajas since 2014.  Sebastian, ‘16, and Konrad both went on to play for D3 soccer programs, making impacts as early as freshman year.

“Dominick is a slightly different type of player.  Although he is also a defender, his game right now is more about playing soccer.  He likes to get on the ball, pass and move and join the attack to help create chances,” said Parry.

Parry expects Dom to be a leader on the team in the future.

“Though only a sophomore now in his first varsity season, there is plenty of evidence that his leadership abilities will grow over the next few years. He should have the same impact on the LFHS program as his brothers. I am excited to see how he develops and what direction his game takes, and to see what that means for Dominick’s career in high school and beyond.”

Dom is more than just a soccer player, of course.  For starters, he is bilingual. His family hails from Poland, which gives him the unique ability to simultaneously speak Polish to his mom on the phone and English in person.

The Forest Scout • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$500
$800