‘Tis the Season to Open Your Wallet: MLB Winter Meetings

As we head into the winter months of the sporting world, baseball is probably the last thing on anyone’s mind. College football bowl season is coming up along with the NFL playoffs, which begin in January. So, with baseball season months away from spring training, not to mention opening day, why is it important to focus on America’s pastime at this given moment? Well, today marks the second day of the 2016 MLB winter meetings. If you don’t already know, the MLB winter meetings are a four day long event where representatives from all 30 teams along with the 160 minor league programs meet to discuss offseason trades, transactions, and other business regarding baseball. This year both of our Chicago teams are expected to make some significant moves that will affect the 2017 season. On top of that, some of the biggest names in baseball are also on the market. Within the next four days some of baseball’s biggest names will soon be riding on top of sports headlines.

Chicago White Sox:

At the beginning of the year the White Sox had one of the best starts in baseball only to have their season crash and burn, resulting in a new coach who isn’t afraid to ship some of their best players away in return for some future stars. One of the biggest players on the market is the White Sox’s own Chris Sale, who has five All-Star Game appearances in his seven year career. At the conclusion of these winter meetings, the Sox’s goal is to be stacked with prospects. The Washington Nationals GM has said that he believes he has the prospects to trade for both Chris Sale and All-Star Andrew McCutchen leading the media to believe that the Nationals are currently the front runners in pursuing the White Sox ace. Also, multiple media reports have came in saying that the Nationals and Sox are putting the final pieces together on what would be a blockbuster trade. The Nationals would most likely give the White Sox two of their best prospects, Lucas Giolito and Victor Robles. If there is any sleeper in acquiring Chris Sale it would be the Red Sox. The Boston Red Sox do have some all around solid players in their farm system like Yoan Moncada and Andrew Benintendi. As of now it seems like Chris Sale will no longer be part of the White Sox organization next season and will most likely pitch for our nation’s capital, but there still is that very rare chance that he gets shipped out to Boston. A deal is likely to be struck Tuesday.

Chicago Cubs:

The drama did not take long to begin for the Cubs after the conclusion of the 2016 season. It wasn’t long after Dexter Fowler declined the Cubs’ qualifying offer that the Cubs went shopping for a center fielder. After a few days of searching, the Cubs signed Jon Jay from the Padres to a one year deal to temporarily fill the void out in center field. With the center field position filled and Dexter Fowler most likely on his way out of town, the Cubs have now began to work on their pitching staff.

The Cubs closer, Aroldis Chapman, is seeking a six year deal with any team that is willing to pay a load of cash signing him. The Yankees jumped out as early favorites to sign the flame-thrower but now the Marlins–who are in desperate need of a closer–have high interest. The Yankees have the highest payroll of the two and Chapman spent some time in the Bronx already, making it seem likely that the Yankees will sign him to a multi year deal. But if the Marlins fail to sign the Dodgers’ closer, Kenley Jansen, expect the Marlins to make a reasonable push for Chapman as well.

Now on the receiving end. The Cubs are looking into options on signing Kenley Jansen, but what seems to be there main target as of late is Wade Davis. Davis helped the Royals get to the World Series in back to back years (14-15), so he is no stranger to the postseason pressure. Last year he had a 1.87 ERA, but did miss a chunk of the season due to a forearm strain. Wade Davis is no Aroldis Chapman, but is still an all around closer who is tough to hit. Also in contention to sign Davis is the Dodgers. Of course, as mentioned prior, the Dodgers’ current closer, Kenley Jansen, will most likely be traded, leaving a vacancy in their closer position. Therefore the price tag on Davis will be high, but the Cubs need to ensure a closer before other teams beat them to it. In the next three days you will mainly see moves in the bullpen from the Cubs excluding a possible Dexter Fowler trade.

Rest Of The MLB:

It just keeps getting better. As for the rest of the majors, some big names have hit the market including Jose Bautista, Andrew McCutchen, Edwin Encarnacion, Mark Trumbo and many others. First off, the two teammates. Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion were significant parts of the Blue Jays 2016 playoff run that was put to a halt in the ALCS against the Indians. Now, the two Jays stars could be traded. Ironically, in the beginning stages of free agency it seemed like the Red Sox were a top contender for both. Now it seems like Encarnacion may be asking for too much from the Sox, but it does seem like Boston is continuing to pursue interest in Encarnacion due to their desperate need of a DH. Other teams such as the Indians are looking into Encarnacion along with the Rangers. Whatever team that he decides to sign with, expect it to be a multi year deal. As for Bautista, the Boston Red Sox still seem to be the frontrunner, but no specific information has came out suggesting that the Sox are all in on a Bautista trade.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest name on this year’s hot stove is the Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen. At the beginning of the day it seemed like Washington was the team that would be most likely to get McCutchen, but towards the later hours of Monday it seems like the Texas Rangers have became the lead club in pursuit of McCutchen. Washington, as of now, is focused on bringing in Chris Sale, which the Nationals are willing to give away their top two prospects for. If that deal falls through, however, there won’t be much left on the table that they can offer for the All-Star outfielder. Multiple media reports also suggest that there is a “mystery team” in the mix for McCutchen causing more uncertainty in the possible trade. In all likelihood, Andrew McCutchen will be placed on a team by the end of the week, but the big question is who.

Mark Trumbo of the Baltimore Orioles had a strong year in 2016. He hit an astonishing number of home runs (47) and won the silver slugger award for the league’s best batting average. The thirty year old is looking for a 4 year deal with a club. Initially, the Orioles offered him $52-55 million for four years, but Trumbo wanted $75-80 million. Baltimore is not willing to spend that kind of money on Trumbo, which led multiple media reports to suggest that the Orioles are moving on. Since it appears that Baltimore will not resign one of the best sluggers in the league, other teams will soon begin to show interest. As of now it is too early to determine where Trumbo might land in the next few days. By the end of Tuesday night chances are people will have a good idea on the favored team to sign Trumbo.

In the next few days, some significant blockbuster trades will be made, especially impacting the Chicago White Sox and Cubs 2017 season. Make sure to check in with The Forest Scout for further updates regarding the winter meetings.