What’s Hot in the Cold: How to Stay Active in the Upcoming Brutal Winter

Winter seems to be an elongated season when it comes to the Chicagoland area. Staying productive and active in the four months that winter entails seems impossible at times. All you want to do is sit or lay in a warm bed and binge watch Netflix. However, there are many ways to stay productive and make the most of this long, cold season.

One of the biggest problems in the winter months is procrastination and hurrying through homework or other work just to get home and lay in bed. In the summer–when it doesn’t get pitch black outside at 4:30pm–all we want to do is rush through our mandatory daily activities to get outside and enjoy the warm weather. In the winter, on the other hand, we do the opposite. It’s not like there is much to look forward to in the winter on an average day other than getting in bed and away from the impending cold that looms just outside.

Whether you’re a high school student or a 30 year old working at a finance company, getting outside and active applies to everyone. When you’re done with your long day of work, rather than jumping in bed or being a couch potato, get outside and get active. Taking a simple stroll around the block will lift your spirits if you suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Making a snowman is an iconic winter activity along with snowball fights, snow angels, and simply just sitting outside while it snows admiring the intricate detail of each white flake.

While getting active is a very important part of staying productive in the winter, planning is also a great thing to keep your mind busy. Planning for the warmer months will also bestow a sense of positivity and longing for you, giving you something to look forward to. Plan a vacation, a fishing trip, road trip: the possibilities are endless and are also very productive.

Lastly, if you are stuck in school all day and get home just to sit and watch TV, pay attention to this. Picking up a winter sport may be the best way to stay active and productive in the Winter. There are plenty to choose from, just take your pick. Joining a club is also a great escape from being a couch potato. Not only will you be productive, but it also looks great for when you are applying to college.

Winter is the longest season in our area, as well as the obvious coldest. Instead of sitting inside and scratching your head waiting for summer to come around, get out and active to make way for the warmer days ahead.