Bigger than Baseball: Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo has an inspiring story beyond the World Series

It was the sixth round of the MLB Draft. The Boston Red Sox–who would soon be World Series Champions come the end of the 2007 season–drafted a future All Star who went by the name of Anthony Rizzo. He was drafted out of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and was said to have a very promising future in the majors. The Red Sox were smart enough to realize his potential and Rizzo would begin his professional career with the Portland Sea Dogs, Boston’s AA team. Instead of quickly getting to the Major Leagues like other prospects, Rizzo experienced complications off the field and received some of the worst news a ballplayer, or any person, could ever receive.

Cancer.

Anthony Rizzo’s first year with the Sea Dogs was terrific. It was clear that it would not take the young superstar long before he would be able to make the majors. Early in Rizzo’s 2008 season, though, he began to feel different. He said that he began to feel weak and tired and his legs were beginning to swell up, adding an additional 15 pounds to his body weight. This was a warning sign that Rizzo, a seemingly healthy athlete, had to get to a doctor as soon as possible. In April of 2008, the doctors made it official. Anthony Rizzo had been officially diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a form of cancer. At this point Rizzo’s future career didn’t seem to have a lot of meaning. The only thing that had meaning to him and his family was beating cancer, a tougher obstacle than any pitcher or fastball he would face in the batter’s box of the game he loved. 

Of course, Rizzo couldn’t participate in many games following the diagnosis, but he made sure that he would not become discouraged and would always stay strong and positive, continually encouraging his teammates with the hopes that he would one day rejoin them. Once the Red Sox general manager at the time, Theo Epstein, heard about the news from their AA affiliate, he brought Rizzo to Fenway Park for a visit. One of the first things that Epstein had Rizzo do was meet Red Sox ace pitcher Jon Lester, who had to go through cancer only a few years prior. Lester met Rizzo in a hallway outside of the Red Sox’s locker room and told Rizzo that little things will happen throughout the process, but that he should never worry about his future in baseball. Immediately, when Lester said those words Anthony Rizzo’s dad recalled that he fainted. Nonetheless, Rizzo had an hour long conversation with Lester on how to attack cancer and the things that Lester was going through when he was battling a similar diagnosis. At the end of their conversation, Jon Lester told Rizzo to play whenever he felt good enough, and so he did. And he’s been playing ever since.

Jon Lester threw a no hitter in his first start since his conversation with the future MLB All Star. A coincidence or a source of inspiration? You decide.

In 2008, Rizzo began his six months of chemotherapy and the result was a success. That September, the Rizzo family received the news that Anthony was going into remission and would soon be back on the diamond. 

Rizzo headed back to the Sea Dogs in full swing and shot up through the minors and ended up getting traded to the Padres, where he kicked off his MLB career. In 2012, Rizzo was traded to the Cubs where he blossomed as an MLB star. In 2014, just six years removed from his Lymphoma chemotherapy treatments, Rizzo made his All Star Game debut in Minnesota, only to repeat as an MLB All Star the next two years. Of course, he has now helped lead the Cubs to a Central Division Championship, NL Championship, and a potential World Series title. He is also one of the top NL MVP candidates this season. Cancer was a bump in the road that Anthony Rizzo courageously overcame. Now he is one of baseball’s brightest stars.  

Rizzo will never forget his battle with cancer. In fact, he and his family created their own foundation that is working for cancer to be a thing of the past. The Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation was founded in 2012 and it is a non-profit organization benefiting cancer research and families fighting the disease. Anthony Rizzo frequently visits Lurie Children’s hospital in downtown Chicago on floor 18 where young cancer patients as well as others who need medical treatments visit. He will head over to the hospital on off days to socialize with the kids who are getting treatment. Many children look at him as a source of inspiration and hope and Rizzo will never forget what it was like to be on the receiving end of cancer treatment. His mission: Provide the same hope he was provided when he battled cancer.