Where Are They Now? Looking At Five Former Scouts Baseball Stars Who Are Playing In College

AJ Shaw, Sports Editor

Lake Forest High School baseball has seen many talented players walk through the doors of LFHS and some have turned that into very successful collegiate careers. Today, in the spirit of October, we will take a look at five baseball players of our own currently playing at the collegiate level.

Caleb Durbin, 2016-18, SS

Durbin making a play during a game in his senior season. (Joel Lerner, JWC Media)

The all-time leader in Scouts history in hits (121) and stolen bases (73), Durbin broke out in his junior season hitting an eye popping .500 with 64 hits in 128 at-bats. In his senior season, Durbin was one of the team captains and lead the Scouts by batting .352 and broke J.R. Reimer’s all-time hits record with his 112th hit on May 9, 2018 against Mundelein. A three-sport athlete in high school, Caleb choose to play baseball at Washington University in St. Louis, where he won the UAA Rookie of the Year as a freshman, batting .390 with two home runs, 26 RBIs, and 18 stolen bases.

Brad Czerniejewski, 2015-17, OF

Czerniejewski running the bases during his junior season. (Joel Lerner, JWC Media)

On a team headlined with star talent in 2016 like Cal Coughlin and Matt Peterson, Czerniejewski made a name for himself that season as he busted out offensively, hitting .423 with two homers and 23 RBIs, winning Most Improved Player with Matt Peterson and being nominated All-Conference in the North Suburban Conference, along with receiving second-team All-USA Illinois Baseball team performer by USA Today. He was named a captain in his senior season and batted .333, before attending TCU to play baseball with his former teammate Coughlin. He redshirted his freshman year and played in fifteen games last year. Despite little college playing time so far, Brad will most likely get his opportunity in the near future to play regularly for the Horned Frogs. 

Cal Coughlin, P/SS/3B, 2015-16

Coughlin throws a pitch in 2016 against Warren. (Lake Forest Leader)

Arguably one of the best statistical pitchers in the history of Scouts baseball, Coughlin was named an All-Area honorable mention as a sophomore at Carmel Catholic High School before transferring to LFHS in his junior year. He was then nominated for the award as a junior. But his senior season was by far the most memorable for Coughlin, who posted a 2.31 ERA on the mound with 93 strikeouts and batted .426 with three homers and 25 RBIs, being a major piece in the Scouts run to the Sectional playoffs that season. After the year, Coughlin was the No. 14 prospect in the state and choose to commit to TCU where in three seasons as a pitcher, he has excelled as a relief pitcher, posting ERAs below two in his freshman and sophomore seasons for the Horned Frogs.

Grant Messner, P, 2015-16

Image result for grant messner high school

Messner pitching during his junior season. (Photo submitted to Lake Forest Leader by unknown source)

Despite being just a two-year Varsity player, Messner excelled on the mound with Lake Forest in his junior and senior seasons, posting a 1.23 ERA as a junior and posting 26 strikeouts as a senior. Messner currently plays at Caltech, where as a sophomore in 2018, he was third on the Beavers in innings pitched (40.0) and third in strikeouts (36). He was also an eight-time member of the High Honor Roll at LFHS and is currently studying computer science. 

Andrew Gough, IF/P, 2016-18

Gough making a throw during the 2018 IHSA Regional Semifinals vs. Glenbrook North. (Joel Lerner, JWC Media)

Gough was a three-year player on the Varsity level and batted .320 in his senior season as a team captain. Gough was also a pitcher during his time with Lake Forest, but an arm injury in his senior season ended his pitching career. Gough is currently at Middlebury College where he batted .313 in his freshman season with 19 runs batted in and nine stolen bases.

And those are five former Scouts baseball players who are playing at the collegiate level. Let’s hope to see more talented players in the future have the same kind of success that these guys are currently having.