Top 4 sci-fi shows to watch on your next binge                        

Grayson Knox, Staff Writer

Let’s say you’re in the mood to binge some science fiction, but have no idea what to watch. Do you want something gritty and realistic, or comedic and campy? Do you want the show to focus on the action and the plot, or on the characters themselves?

Whatever your taste, there is a show out there for you. With this list, you’re bound to find something to scratch that sci-fi itch.

Star Trek

Star Trek is one of the oldest running sci-fi series on television, and has a diverse array of shows as a result. The Original Series, while dated, still stands the test of time. The corney acting and effects may not be for everyone, but should it be taken with a grain of salt, the show shines as a solid work of science fiction. You can watch the series in its entirety on Netflix. The Next Generation marked both the series’ revival in the late 80s and Patrick Stewart’s first foray into American television. Though also dated in regards to special effects, the show boasts a diverse and talented cast with palpable chemistry. It ran for seven seasons, all of which can viewed on Netflix. The last show I’d recommend would be the spinoff series Deep Space Nine, which I feel is the best show of the entire franchise. The show addresses mature issues such as war and religion with nuance, and its serialized plot is extremely engaging. Like the others, it can also be watched on Netflix.

Battlestar Galactica (2004)

The Battlestar Galactica remake presents itself as a character drama first and a sci-fi show second. It follows a ragtag fleet of human survivors on the run from the Cylons, a race of man-made machines who destroyed the twelve human colonies, with nothing more than the aging museum ship Galactica to defend them. Battlestar Galactica has political intrigue, explosive (and physically accurate) battles, and presents the conflict with enough nuance that even the Cylons become sympathetic. The cast is incredibly talented, each delivering emotional and realistic depictions of their characters. The special effects are also spectacular, mostly due to advancements in computer generated graphics at the time. Both the show and its prequel miniseries are available on Hulu.

Stargate SG-1

Stargate SG-1 expands on the premise created by the 1994 film Stargate, in which the military discovers an ancient wormhole device created by the Goa’uld, a race of alien slavers who were worshipped as the Egyptian gods. It follows a team of Air Force soldiers called SG-1, and their travels to other worlds in order to keep Earth safe from alien threats. The show is an exciting military fiction, and watching the growth of humanity from a fledgeling force barely able to fight off alien threats to one capable of space travel over the seasons. Although the show never reached the popularity of Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica, it is still a show I’d recommend. You can stream the show on Hulu.

The Expanse

The Expanse is possibly the most realistic sci-fi show out right now, and one of the best I’ve ever seen. In a near future in which Earth and its Martian colony are mired in a cold war, a detective on a missing person case, the survivors of a deadly attack, a politician on Earth, and a Martian marine all stumble onto pieces of a grand conspiracy that threatens humanity itself. The worldbuilding of the show is incredible; it makes the Solar System into a setting as vast and diverse as the galaxies seen in other shows. For the average viewer, it offers action, mystery, and drama aplenty. For geeks, it’s one of the few shows that actually takes the physics and science of space into account. The show was unfortunately taken off of Netflix, but can be streamed on Hulu (provided you have the Live TV add on) or Amazon Prime Video.

Grayson Knox, Staff Writer

Grayson is a senior at Lake Forest High School. He loves to sail on the LFHS sailing team most of the year, and to ski in Utah during the winter. He is...