After glancing at an LFHS yearbook from 1994, it seems that a lot of opinions are different now on certain things once considered overrated. At the end of the yearbook, there is a list of what is deemed “COOL” and “UNCOOL” by the class of 1994. The list contains things from actions to objects to fashion statements to the kind of car that students drive. As it turns out, a lot can change in a little more than 20 years, even though these are based off of students who have walked the same halls as us in LFHS. If I were to recreate this list from nearly 23 years ago, a lot of these would be switched around or not included in the list at all.
From Uncool to Cool
- The first thing that I would switch from the uncool list to cool list is probably the most obvious. Jeeps just so happen to have been placed in the uncool list, which was kind of surprising. Maybe they were just put on that side because they’re overrated? Whatever the reason may be, Jeeps definitely aren’t universally considered uncool because the Senior Parking Lot is half filled with Jeeps.
- I would then switch over dry cereal to the cool list. I don’t see what the problem is with dry cereal. It’s great for a snack and it’s great on the go. I have absolutely no issues with dry cereal. How is oatmeal any cooler?
- Recently, students have thought that smoking in the bathroom is, apprarently, now cool. Juuls have grown popular for some of the student body and you can easily find out who from various VSCO accounts that contain posts from juuling photo shoots. I have actually walked in on some girls juuling in the bathroom. If someone hasn’t told you before, then I’ll be the first–it’s still not cool and it’s not a good look. Even though you may, at the time, think it is. And I’ll tell you that I told you so when you’re addicted to cigs in ten years and wish you hadn’t started.
- The clothing items that these students chose to put in the “UNCOOL” column honestly doesn’t make sense to me. Flannel boxers, tight jeans, and bras… someone tell me what is uncool about these things? I feel as though most girls in our school wear tight jeans and they are definitely a clothing item that doesn’t go out of style. Sure, they are uncomfortable at times, but hey, beauty is pain. I don’t see what’s not cool about flannel boxers either, but I guess I’m also not really one to judge. But boys, if you wear flannel boxers, I’m sure that it’s cool in some way. Also, I’ll plead the 5th on bras. No comment.
- Maybe in the 90’s couples were seen as overrated, but I wouldn’t go as far to label them as uncool. It’s cool to date and it’s cool to not date, too. As long as the person is happy with their relationship status then I would say that’s pretty great and something that others should strive for. Adding on to that, if I’m an independent person, then why am I a loser? Maybe I just don’t understand the definition of a loser, but I think I can be independent and still have friends.
From Cool to Uncool
- Killing whales for blubber? I’m confused as to if this was an inside joke the class of ‘94 all shared or something that I’m just not a part of. Environmental statement perhaps? Killing whales doesn’t seem good to me in any sort of way. Even if it’s for blubber. I can live my life without blubber and I’d still be cool.
- I’m not saying that golf isn’t cool, but it also seems very random to me. Maybe golf used to be a very popular sport to play, but I wouldn’t say that it’s as common anymore. Golf is also being compared to bowling which doesn’t seem like a fair battle. In my opinion, more students would go out and bowl with a group of friends rather than play golf.
- I don’t think anyone goes to Piero’s anymore. I actually had to look this up online to know that it was a local pizza place in Highland Park. Pizza is definitely still loved by the students of LFHS though, and there’s a lot to choose from around Lake Forest–Ferentino’s, Donati’s, and Lou Malnati’s are only a few of our wonderful pizza options. Sorry, Piero’s.
- I’m not saying parties on the Senior Lounge wouldn’t be cool, but this doesn’t happen and what is the Senior Lounge? Now I’m curious. If this is a sort of area like the one that houses the Junior Study Hall, I really don’t think that Mrs. G would appreciate that. I wish there were parties on whatever the Senior Lounge is. Let’s bring it back.
Obviously, a lot has changed since 1994, but these are also purely my own opinon. There’s definitely more that can be argued here and some things that can also be agreed with. I think the main thing to acknowledge is that everyone has their own thoughts on what is “cool” and what is “uncool” because everyone’s’ definitions of those words are completely different. I do think that these lists are actually a really fun thing to have in the yearbook. So, for anyone in Yearbook Club, please bring these lists back and we’ll see even more how these have changed, especially in nearly 25 yers.