What's your ideal spring break spot?

Boys water polo obliterates Niles West

LAKE FOREST, Ill.– Yesterday at the LFHS pool, the Boys Water Polo team snagged their fifth win against Niles West. With the team’s record currently standing at 6-2, it’s fair to say the Scouts are putting together a season to remember. So far, notable wins include a “victory royale” over Vernon Hills (final score: 12-1) as well as a nail-biter double overtime win over Highland Park (final score: 10-9).

Leading scorers for the Scouts last night included seniors Will Paschke and Andrew Gherlein, who procured six and four goals respectively. In addition, senior Chuck Mickey put in two for LFHS while sophomore Greg Damidot continued his streak of incredible play with four. Harmon Raft, one of the team’s many reliable seniors, got into foul trouble early, so unfortunately didn’t play much for the Scouts.

The team so far this year has been characterized by its ability to move the ball around extremely well, and, in doing so, involve every player. In the game yesterday, I noticed players Gherlein and Paschke in particular have fantastic chemistry when it comes to finding each other for a open pass; both of these fan-favorites garnered 3+ assists last night. However, it was the entire team’s effort that provided the open looks for goals to be scored.

However, as usual, defense won the game for the Boys Water Polo squad. By getting an unfathomable amount of steals, the Scouts set themselves up for fast breaks down the pool. Also, goalies Chuck Capps and Michael Rourke continued their magnificent play, limiting the Wolves to three goals total out of dozens of shots-on-goal.

The Scouts will take on the Warren Blue Devils at home following Spring Break on April 4th. The day after, they’ll travel down to Buffalo Grove High School for a 6:00 match. The Buffalo Grove Bison are ranked 28th in the state (according to Illpolo.com), but this shouldn’t be a problem for the experienced LFHS team.