Scouts Water Polo earns season-opening victory over Highland Park

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill.– The water was cold and the fans loud at Highland Park High School yesterday. As everyone rose for the national anthem, it finally struck many Scouts Water Polo players how quickly the season had come. “This is it!” shouted senior Stuart Kelso. “This is where it begins!”

In a highly contented season-opener, the Scouts secured their first victory by a score of 10-9. Charlie Mickey scored a career-record four goals, while Andrew Gherlein chipped in with two. Although the score seems to suggest otherwise, the Scouts also played some fantastic defense. Senior Stuart Kelso and sophomore Greg Damidot in particular played with such passion and vigor that the Highland Park team struggled to make passes and get their offense set up. In fact, the Scouts managed to hold off Highland Park down the stretch, resulting in a scoreless fourth quarter and first overtime. Goalie Charlie Capps told TFS, “The defense was great, even though Highland Park had one or two players who were unstoppable. For our first game, we’re right where we want to be.”

However, the real hero of last night was none other than senior Harmon Raft. Towards the end of the second overtime, Raft scored his third goal of the night off a Charlie Mickey assist. Although this goal would later be recognized as the game-winner, just seconds later, Raft was ejected from the game on account of obtaining his third foul. Thankfully, with only thirty seconds left in the game, HPHS could not recover. 

Next Monday at 6:00 pm, the LFHS Boys Water Polo team will head down to Deerfield High School for what looks to be another sensational matchup.